PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Road trip - Calgary to Santa Monica
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2015, 04:44
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Day 8 - Barstow to Santa Monica - Part 1

Barstow is home to a Marine Corps Logistics Base. I passed a compound that looked like it had enough Humvees to equip the whole British Army!

This is where I left I-40 and headed NW towards Edwards AFB. Over the past three days, I had traveled about 400 miles on I-40, which follows the route of, but has replaced Route 66. However, the highways into each town that I-40 bypasses are called Historic Route 66, in order to attract tourists. In each town that I drove through (Winslow, Flagstaff, Kingman and Barstow), I felt as if I was in a time warp. A lot of motels, gas stations and restaurants appeared to have changed very little from the 50s. It was also obvious that the economies were suffering - many closed businesses and For Sale signs, particularly in Winslow, which is almost a ghost town.

Before I arrived at Edwards, I made a detour into Boron, "the Borax Capital of the World":

I went there to see this (and visit the Saxon Aerospace Museum):

Unfortunately the museum was closed, but this was an unexpected bonus - my first SAAB Draken:

Back on the highway, I turned off here to Edwards AFB North Gate:

The museum at Edwards is not accessible to the public these days, for security reasons, but there is a B-52 at the North Gate and several aircraft at the West Gate, that can be viewed:

This is not just any old B-52, this is B-52B "008", which was NASA's mother ship for all air-drop tests, starting with the X-15 and ending with the X-43A:

See here for the history: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/n...emembered.html

Last edited by India Four Two; 23rd Feb 2022 at 05:05. Reason: Removed Photoucket logos