PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2015, 14:39
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Odanrot,

Welcome. A brief précis of one of the videos, caveated that this is what it looked like from that particular angle. We do not know how level the camera was held so I can't be sure of angles.

Andy was seen to run in at low level and pulled up into what concensus here believes to have been a quarter clover. It did not look like he achieved the true vertical, but not by much. He rolls through probably slightly less than 90 degrees and continues to pull over the top. No one here can judge if he made the gate height or not, so I wouldn't assume that.

The pull appears to slacken slightly on the way down and the last quarter it looks like he's pulling hard, possibly very hard. Just before impact on the A27 the aircraft is about ten degrees nose up but still descending. There is a hint of what may be wing rock shortly before impact.

On impact there is a large fireball and it looks like the cockpit section detaches from the fuselage and remains slightly ahead of the majority of the fire. I could not see an ejection gun so a complete ejection sequence is also unlikely.

Any corrections welcome.

There is no evidence to indicate that he did not meet his parameters at the top and it looked like there was hot air coming from the jet pipe in the final stages, so the engine was doing something - quite what, I could not say, but possibly working.

Andy was recovered from the scene very badly injured and is currently alive, but in a medically-induced coma. There has been very little news since about his condition. Wreckage is still being recovered from the scene and there were a number of casualties and fatalities among people in cars, one or more motorcyclists and people on foot or sitting (I think) in the area.

There has been a lot of speculation about the causes and the safety of a display in that area. Until evidence other than photographs, videos and witness becomes available further comment on my behalf would not be appropriate.

Hope that kind of brings you up to speed. I assume you will have seen the news paper articles and some of the (in my opinion) slanderous statements that have appeared in the media by so called experts.

Last edited by Courtney Mil; 26th Aug 2015 at 14:50.