PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2015, 18:55
athonite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JFZ has hit the nail on the head with his comments, such as the aircraft ran out of height, was the display to risky and what were the margins.

For those professional pilot's on here, we all know about factoring in margins for take off and landing performance (1.33/1.43). There are number distractions which can happen at critical moments during displays, such as bird strikes, loose items, sun in your eyes, malfunctions and of course an engine malfunction.

In the case of the later, whether a total or partial loss of power, would it no be reasonable to always have the energy to position the aircraft away from congested area? I'm really not sure what the display philosophy is here.

Regarding the other post regarding 'pilot error', this is an outdated term used by the media, the preferred term is human error, as no one factor in isolation causes an accident. As as we may find that the humans responsible for display authorisation may be one of the factors in this accident. I think a review in display authorisation was well overdue, the argument that there hasn't been a display accident involving civilians for 63 years is flawed statistically.

I can think of two well documented fatal air accidents in the UK, a B737-400 in the 80's and Viscount in the 90's where the FOI (CAA Flight Operations Inspector) were identified by the AAIB as one of the causal factors.

I think I'm right in thinking that the FOI, in the aftermath of the B737-400 accident was redeployed by the CAA to be a CAAFU Examiner and ironically then she became a CRMI Examiner!

Last edited by athonite; 25th Aug 2015 at 19:22.