PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2015, 13:27
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still wonder if this will not be a slippery slope to air shows being no more than watching distant dots
None of us would like to just watch dots, low flying is a necessary element of a satisfactory airshow. But, a decent display of "larger" aircraft can be presented at low altitude, without high energy maneuvering. I've seen a Vulcan flown at airshows many times, I have never seen one looped nor rolled. I left each airshow very satisfied with the Vulcan display I witnessed. Were I to see a Hunter flown, I equally expect I would be satisfied with some nice flybys, in different configurations, and not feel let down, were it not looped nor rolled.

Yes, If I see a Pitts or similar type enter the airspace, I won't be surprised if it's pilot performs some aerobatics, but that is a different class of aircraft than a vintage military jet or large aircraft.

It is up to the public to present their realistic expectations of the type of performances to be flown at airshows. As usual, the "authority" eventually, or reactively represents the public desire, about as broadly as possible. So, the authority will make rules, just some times, not at the right time, and perhaps in the less ideal measure.

In the mean time, I speak with my ticket purchase, and choose not to attend air displays for which I read promotion like "death defying....".