PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2015, 00:21
Flying_Anorak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To bring discussions back to a more technical level, can I ask anyone on here who may be familiar with MB's Mark 4 or 5 seat (which I believe is appropriate for this mark of aircraft whether there is an interlock between the canopy jettisoning and seat sequencing? Reason I ask is that in one well known tabloid's sequence of very graphic photos you can clearly see at the point of impact the unique T bird canopy being thrown open, presumably by the force of impact, but still attached by the hinge. The next photo in the sequence shows the canopy closed again seemingly having remained hinged somehow.

With my limited experience of the two seat Hunters I recall the canopy to be a substantial affair, much like the Lightning T5 which as the Thunder City accident showed, stopped the seat from sequencing if the canopy has not jettisoned. Is i the same on the two seat Hunter? Parts of the media tonight are suggesting that Andy was found outside of the aircraft and even the BBC mentioned the hazard the seat presented to the recovery but there is no sign of the gas tube I would expect to see had the ejection been initiated.