PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar 2015/2016
Thread: Qatar 2015/2016
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2015, 13:20
Enzo999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I worked at QR for 3 years and left back in 2012 so am in a good position to offer a balanced fair judgment. Although I would never describe my time there as a dream, it was a far cry from the nightmare described by other people on this forum.

I will start with the good points, Money is good (paid the deposit on my house), job security is the best, Command potential within a few years (hours dependant), any aircraft worth flying they have and you will get a chance to transfer, Interesting flying, good staff travel, New pension fund!!

Now the bad points, The country is not great to live in, the weather is extreme and there is really nothing to do. Good schools are hard to get into and everything except fuel is expensive. There are some lovely local guys working at QR but in general they are dismissive and unlikely to treat you with the respect one might expect. The company is OK but don't expect them to do you many favours - you are there to do as you are told, (I asked for some time off when my gran died and was told no!).The 320 roster is hard, 90 hours a month, lots of 4 sector days and night flights to India. Other fleets are much better, I went 340 for a year and it was a dream - 6 flights a month to only LHR or CDG! They can be very unforgiving regarding training issues or mistakes on the line and FDM is used to keep tabs on people. They have been know to fire people quite easily, but that being said fly like they want and don't be a dick and you will be fine.

Looking back on my time there I would generally say I was glad I went but am in no hurry to return. If you have a good Jet job already and are fairly happy I would say don't consider going, but if you are in a situation were you need a job or want a new rating or need to get jet time or have a career break to fill then go, its not that bad and you might even enjoy it.