PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru Bad experience
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 23:41
outlandishoutlanding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard of Rotax installations in Jabiru airframes. I have actually met someone who claims to have flown one. I have seen a photograph of a J160 purporting to have Rotax 912 installed in it...but I have never actually seen one of these aeroplanes, nor have I seen any review of the performance (or possible lack of it), or the pros and cons of the installation, etc etc etc. Additionally, it is only an option (if it is viable) for home-builders.
In 2011 I took a lesson (out to the coast, and a couple of circuits at YWVA) in a 24-registered (ie "factory-built") J160 with a 100hp rotax in it. It was a very pleasant plane to fly (but note that this was only the third type I had ever flown). Performance was very acceptable, and definitely better than the J160s with the Jabiru 2200c. I don't remember any strong nose down tendencies.

Mind you, this was a single hour lesson 4 years ago so my memories might not be completely unbiased. My memories of it are definitely better than my current experience of J160s (underpowered).