PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal Accident at Newquay - Piper PA34
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2015, 18:53
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THE PILOT of a light aircraft was killed after it crashed in woodland near to Newquay airport – the first fatal crash since it became a civilian operation.

The man, from Cornwall, was piloting a twin-engine Piper PA34 en-route from Blackbushe Airport, on the Surrey-Hampshire border, when the crash happened at about 7.35pm on Monday.

No-one else was on board and no-one on the ground was injured. It is understood the plane crashed in woodland close to the runway.

Fire, police and ambulance services attended the crash site but the man was pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been informed.

RELATED CONTENT
Newquay Airport reopens as investigations continue into light aircraft crash
Air Accidents Investigation Branch called to incident at Newquay Airport
Pilot killed trying to land light aircraft at Newquay airport
The man was aged 68 but police said they could not disclose any further details of his identity.

Al Titterington, managing director of Newquay Cornwall Airport, said the initial emergency response was handled by the airport's own firefighting service, joined later by other emergency services.

"Everything was completely back to normal by 6am the following day," he told the Cornish Guardian.

"Passengers and visitors to the airport would not be able to see anything – we are managing flight paths so that the air crash investigators can go about their business without being disturbed.

"It's very sad and our thoughts are obviously with the dead man's family."

The Piper aircraft has an excellent safety record and is used for both leisure and commuter flights.

The weather was good and clear on Monday evening when the crash happened.

The Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) has opened an inquiry and experts were travelling to Newquay today to inspect the wreckage.

Flights to Newquay were diverted to Exeter overnight on Monday.

Newquay and St Austell MP Steve Double offered his condolences to the dead pilot's family.

"I was very sad to hear the news of the air crash last night at Newquay airport that took the life of a local pilot," he said. "My thoughts and prayers are with the pilot's family; they have my deepest sympathy.

"The AAIB is attending the scene and we will hear from them in due course as to the cause of this dreadful accident.

"I spoke with the management at Newquay airport last night and they briefed me on the incident and the steps that the emergency services had taken. Despite these efforts, the pilot sadly died at the scene."

Anyone needing information about flights to or from Newquay airport is advised to telephone 01637 860600.
Cornwall pilot killed after plane crash at Newquay Airport | Cornish Guardian

A liitle bit more information