PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Road trip - Calgary to Santa Monica
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2015, 04:47
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Day 2

BV,
I'm old enough to remember when the day time speed limit in Montana was "reasonable and prudent". Fun times with a fast sports car!

Leaving Idaho Falls, I saw an Ag Wagon at low-level. The first time I've seen an operational crop-duster for many years.

No roadside aircraft on I15 until Hill AFB. Before reaching Hill, I was driving through Ogden, when I saw a steam locomotive, which caused me to screech to a halt at what turned out to be a railroad museum at the old Union Station. I know there are quite a few railway enthusiasts here, so I thought I would post a couple of pictures:

UP Northern class 4-8-4. Six-foot drivers and a top speed of over 100 mph.

A slight aeronautical connection. This is UP X-26, a gas turbine-electric locomotive, with an 8500 HP GE turbine, driving a generator. Designed to replace the Big Boy locomotives, it had a tractive effort of 212,000 lb.

Further down the road, after coming off I15, the Hill Museum is hard to miss:

It is an extremely good museum, with a lot of exhibits, both inside and outside. I decided to photograph only aircraft I had not seen before. I'll post them on the museum thread, but here are my three favourites:

Douglas C-124 Globemaster II

Northrop F-89 Scorpion

Martin RB-57A

After the museum, I drove to Morgan County Airport, in the mountains, east of Ogden. I had an appointment to follow up on something I had spotted on Google Earth - the unmistakeable outline of a Slingsby T-53. It's languishing de-rigged in a hangar and has been sold. My guide had flown it and said its handling was somewhat reminiscent of a Blanik L-13, but with poor ergonomics, particularly the front rudder pedals. He showed me a repair of the spar carry-through structure, required by an AD. A previous owner had merely stop-drilled the cracks!

I was then given a tour of some of the hangars and saw many interesting aeroplanes. The highlight was an immaculate 3/4 scale Fiesler Storch:

I then drove to Heber, Utah via the Park City ski area. Off to the Grand Canyon tomorrow.

Last edited by India Four Two; 21st Feb 2022 at 19:17.