PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proof that DAS Skidmore is a new broom
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2015, 22:24
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know the people you named there, LB, but I imagine they're competent and decent blokes.

I do think that a sound basis in aviation is required for the position of DAS, though, otherwise the tail wags the dog, and I have a bit of trouble accepting your idea that there are
substantial risks that arise from employing people with experience in the subject matter being regulated
. The 'skygod' description implies an egotist who won't listen to anyone, and no, I wouldn't want someone like that in charge either, but I wouldn't say that's the case with Mark Skidmore; far from it.

It's fair what you say about people wanting to implement their pet projects, but I don't see that that's what Skidmore is trying to do; rather, I think he's genuinely trying to work through and fix some significant problems in the organisation he's been appointed to lead.

I'd also be very surprised to see anyone from whatever background who took over the role throwing out the whole reform program, which is what you have called for:
Yep: Throw it all in the bin and, more importantly, get rid of the very substantial and positive incentive some have to drag the process on forever.
What would you do, burn the CASR and reprint all the regs from 1995?