PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Europa XS monowheel
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2015, 19:14
Mach Jump

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've flown, and instructed in all three U/C versions of the Europa, and most of the engine/prop combinations too.

There's no doubt that a constant speed prop transforms the T/O performance.

Regarding the Monowheel, I was flying with Ivan Shaw just the other day, in his Liberty XL, and the conversation drifted onto the Europa, and the Monowheel in particular.

He was happy to admit that it was not until the accident reports started coming in that he realised, like many test pilots, that he had based his assessment of the 'average PPL holder' on himself, and that, in reality, it required above average ability/experience to fly safely.

The Monowheel Europa is not just another tailwhell aircraft. It has quite a few unusual features and quirks, some of which have already been mentioned, not least of which is it's heavy reliance on it's tailwheel steering for directional control when taking off /landing. In some conditions, this can lead to a small deviation becoming an uncontrollable event in the blink of an eye.

I would thoroughly endorse Pilotmike's parting comment with the following additions.

Enjoy - but PLEASE be sure to take plenty of training,
with an Instructor experienced on the type,
take time and care to learn her quirky ways in gentle conditions, and never become complacent with one
on, or
near the ground.

MJ

Last edited by Mach Jump; 13th Aug 2015 at 19:30. Reason: Punctuation.