PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Autumn 2014
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2015, 20:10
marcus1290

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my two cents as some folk are a little out the loop with regards to what the apprenticeship entails.

Its a maximum 12 month scheme resulting in a fully bonded (3 year) TR on 73 or 75. Within this 12 months, theres 3 months 'development' at The Mint and LFFH gaining experience of the company. This is to create a strong working relationship with folk that flight deck deal with every day and folk that they may deal with once every 5 years. Its about learning the business. After that, its out on a placement which is most likely in a crew room helping flight deck with their daily duties.

I'm an apprentice at J2, and although i have no other airline experience, i absolutely love it. I have no issues with the place at all and everyone i have met so far have been brand new. Something which was new to the scheme when i started was having a bash at operating as cabin crew. Some of you may laugh at this but the experience was fantastic. First hand experience of what happens on the other side of the door has a real eye opener and i have a huge amount of respect for cabin crew and the job they do. I'm 1/3 of the way through the 12 months, but rumour has it that type ratings could be coming our way over winter. On a previous course, two lads were rated after 4 months of the scheme. Operational requirements.

I'm incredibly lucky to be in a position to receive a fully paid for 737 or 757 TR as a first job. There can't be many opportunities like that in Europe or even the world.

A final side note, J2 prefer the modular route for their apprentices. I would say that less than 10% of apprentices went Integrated, and i don't know anyone on the scheme from oxford or CTC.

Best to you all,

Marcus,

Pilot Apprentice and Proud.

Last edited by marcus1290; 12th Aug 2015 at 09:08.