PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial flying and job prospects
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2015, 13:08
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I think that A&C is a bit overly negative about the state of the industry, but it does depend upon where you look.

I did a CPL in my 30s, and use it regularly, as a mixture of instructor, ferry pilot and test pilot: although far more often than as a pilot I use the knowledge in other things I do . On the other hand, so far (never say never!) I've not worked as a full time role as a professional pilot, nor see that happening any time soon.

I've no idea what your existing qualifications and skills are Dave, but I'd venture an inspired guess that they are potentially useable somewhere in the aircraft industry. What presumably you don't presently have is significant knowledge of the professional side of aviation: a PPL is a start there and depending upon where you might go, commercial and instructing qualifications can add to that usefully.

So, whilst aspiring to be a full time professional pilot isn't out of court - and if that's what you really want to do, frankly, go for it - there are all sorts of other jobs in aviation which can combine flying knowledge and other professional skills you might have. And if you are in the right place, and have a professional licence, you might be surprised what comes along on the side.

Of course, what other people have said is also true - just try and make lots of money doing something else, then spend it on flying! That clearly works for lots of other people.

G