PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Engineering tech training disgusting new low
Old 9th Aug 2015, 09:52
witwiw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, from the perspective of a pilot who worked for a 737 operator in remote parts of the Pacific, far and above the best LAMES to have around to fix problems were those who'd done it the "long" way. Their depth of knowledge, their lateral thinking towards a resolution and their resourcefulness generally left those who had done their training in a "shorter" form scratching their heads in disbelief at their lack of knowledge despite being licensed and qualified.

Likewise my own training, the old "chalk and talk" was so superior to current CBT's with multiple choice answers and left me in a better position when things went pear shaped than those denied that opportunity. Not that I had all the answers, far from it, but I at least had some whereas my offsiders were often left "scratching their heads in disbelief at their lack of knowledge despite being licensed and qualified". "Long" course painful, yes, but worth it 'cos it was usually imparted by those with shop floor experience and of whom you could ask questions and get meaningful, knowledgable answers. Try that with a computer.

But I live in the past and now the $$$$$'s rule - and that's why we find ourselves where we are today. What was the title of an old British comedy? Ah, yes, "Never mind the quality, feel the width"!!!!