PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lowered requirements Emirates
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2015, 17:44
Monarch Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jumbo

"Asiana B777 in SFO: VERY EXPERIENCED pilots, crashed simply because they failed to monitor their airspeed"

You sir are a fool if you believe that this particular accident was as simple as you portray.
I personally have no issue with experienced TP people coming onboard, as long as they are trained correctly and given the opportunity to learn.
This whole thing about standards is nonsense, this is an argument that should focus on on relevant experience.
You can't as they say put an old head on young shoulders, it's the same thing when you pair a newish skipper with a guy/girl that still hasn't had the exposure to the wide and varied threats we face day in day out. It's also a different kettle of fish managing yourself in respect of jetlag, the interaction with a variety of crew profiles and of course the management style we all know and love.
Throw in crappy weather, crappy airports, not knowing what you still don't know and we arrive at a point where potentially there is a steep cockpit gradient in terms of experience and ability, now what happens if the experienced person thanks to an unrelenting schedule, commercial and management induced stress, plus maybe a bit from home suddenly is incapable of performing their functions at a critical phase?
With the experienced jet person sat on my right I'm confident things will work out ok, I can't yet say in all honesty that the 2500hr ATR or Dash 8 person will inspire the same level of confidence. And yes before anyone asks, I certainly believe cadets fall into this inexperienced category as well.
Just my thoughts.