PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft crash at Blackbushe.
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2015, 19:18
eyeinthesky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt that there are many pilots out there who have not pulled off a reasonable landing from a bad approach for whatever level of their experience. The more you get away with, the more you are likely to attempt.
How many times had this experienced pilot achieved this; how many times had he ignored TAWS and visual warnings (6 of the former in this case) because 'he knew better' and no-one had been any the wiser and nothing bad had happened?
He was on his own, with (as far as we know) nobody next to him to interject to break the confirmation bias. I don't believe that multi-crew will always prevent poor decision making or teamwork (look at the AAIB report on the BA A320 engine cowling incident for evidence of that), but I can't help thinking that if there had been public-transport stabilised approach limitations in place and another human voice suggesting that this was not going to work, the outcome might have been different.
1200ft AGL, 3000fpm ROD and 150KIAS at 1.2nm from the threshold, irrespective of the LDA, would give even this turboprop pilot an inkling that going around for another try was a good idea!