PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft crash at Blackbushe.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2015, 12:23
pilotmike

Received 72 Likes on 21 Posts
@flapassym
It doesn't matter one iota what the wing loading is.
Really??!! Where did you pick that up from, or are you conveniently assuming so in order to claim it as a fact to pass on to us all? In fact, it most certainly does make a considerable difference.

Here's an extreme example to prove a point. In claiming that it doesn't matter one iota what the wing loading is, you are effectively telling us that both a feather and a bullet would be similarly affected in a rising airmass, which is total nonsense.

If you are trimmed for level flight in an airmass and that airmass rises you WILL rise with it unless you do something about it!
... eventually, if your wing loading is high (bullet, biz-jet), but very much faster if your wind loading is low (feather, glider). So, I say again, it has EVERYTHING to do with wing loading.

It rather sticks in the craw to be lectured - incorrectly - on a Professional Pilots' site by someone who clearly doesn't understand some fundamental principles. Please don't tell me you fly jets or I will be worried!

Oh, and before you might start suggesting either I don't fly gliders or I don't know how jets handle, I'm an ATPL who is also a competition cross-country glider pilot, so I have plenty of experience of both, and I do understand the differences between them and how they handle thermic activity.

@fyrefli follows on the nonsense
These are huge masses of rising air and, as flapassym says, if you fly into them, you're going with them unless you do something.
Just how huge are the "huge masses of rising air" you've encountered at 1,000' AGL (from the altitude AMSL and the ground elevation we've been told from the originator of the earlier graphic)? At that level thermals are barely 100m across with an even tighter core, so your tales of huge masses of rising air is fiction in this case. What might happen at 4,000' in late afternoon, when the thermals might be closer to your description, is completely irrelevant here.

Now, I don't wish to speculate, however if Ladbrokes offered even money on gaining 500' late in a tight circuit when blatting rather fast, on being down to the pilot deliberately trading speed for height (to get below gear or flap limiting speeds possibly, to get the gear or flaps down), or a 'huge thermal', I'd put my tenner on the stick back to slow down every time. Just saying...