PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transavia (HV5068/TRA3K) emergency landing
Old 31st Jul 2015, 10:06
ManaAdaSystem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still say IMHO this is not the way it should have happened. Let F/O be PF so captain can manage the situation and communicate with all parties & agencies, but ultimately the captain should be responsible for the landing, both due weather & especially the non-normal configuration. Otherwise we may as well fly around with SFO's & F/O's. Who needs a captain?
I am a captain. It does not mean I am a better pilot than all my copilots. Some of my copilots I trust to fly any non normal situation/configuration, others I don't. CRM.
I would personally have flown this landing myself. That way I could only blame myself if it turmed into an accident. I doesn't mean the captain in this situation made the wrong decision.
This was a very stressful situation with weather, go around, overspeed, low fuel and a non normal configuration to sort out on top of everything.

Slightly off topic; does the NG have a flap lock out feature if you overspeed the flap by a certain amount? I have never heard about this. You overspeed the flap, it allows you to retract to up, then shuts down?