PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Few Ideas......
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2015, 00:05
Reverend Green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think any airline is particularly good to be honest, but what does surprise me about Cathay however is how they run the rosters like a low cost airline and the utter contempt it appears they have for their pilots.

It is intriguing given Cathays 'legacy'. A shame to be sure the decline, but the decline is still a little behind the rest of the industry (no doubt in another 30 years Cathay may close the door on expats altogether like Singapore - I'm sure there will be ample supply of ex-Chinese airforce guys). The pay will never be what is was (I'm over that but apparently some are not. I'm constantly comparing my - and this is the things for wannabes - DISPOSABLE income and lifestyle with several other jobs and now the global market has picked up, and banking heavy jet time, we don't have to take whatever job we can - which happened to be Cathay as they are desperate).

So now after voting down the RPs there is a chance for lifestyle negotiations. Unfortunately it appears you used to have some good things but voted/ negotiated them away in the past. I'm still in a position whereby I can leave, and like all my peers I speak to, are constantly weighing up whether we will, so if don't see change rest assured I'm off. It looks like for most there is a window before seniority makes it a harder decision. This next year is critical for Cathay in a lot of people's decisions and the RPs and HKPA will speak volumes to how the 'new' Cathay management want to play things and will tell us if it's worth staying or going to be on the same or higher disposable income elsewhere. I didn't need to draw a line in the sand I'm coming in with fresh eyes looking to the future not dwelling in the past. And if I leave and a new E scale comes in so be it, I have no loyalty to Cathay at present, not until they show me they want to be great again. I don't blame the bean counters, there have been some hard times for airlines 9-11, SARS, Asian flu, global economic crisis...and most likely another one in a few years. However now those challenges are behind us time to get things moving forward and time to invest in the people.

Now back to the post.

15) Time the company invested in our product it is inferior to Emirates.
16) get rid of the seniority system in collaboration with pilot unions world wide so labour forces will drive wages higher, and it's easier to leave if things get worse.

Ps my experience is the pilots are in it for themselves unlike the cabin crew who appear very United.

17) if things don't improve time for a peaceful sit - in on days off.