PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2015, 14:50
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,505 Likes on 682 Posts
If you were at the Academy at the same time as Brugel, presumably you got your wings at the same time as him. Pretty short active career then, 1981-1985.

And if you served on the same carriers as he did, presumably you must also have flown F4s, and then later F-14s? after all, the JFK didn't carry F-18s, just F14s, A-7s, S-3s etc. Pretty fast conversion, huh?

Just a few holes mystifying discrepancies, which I am sure you can explain........

KenV:
Lets just say that Drew Brugal is a classmate of mine. We were plebes in the same company at USNA and we both served on the same carriers.
Drew Brugal:
Andrés A. (Drew) Brugal......is a member of the 1979 graduating class of the United States Naval Academy and earned his Naval Aviator Wings in August 1981.

His first operational assignment was Fighter Squadron ONE-FIVE-FOUR (VF- 154), stationed at NAS Miramar, California flying the F-4 "Phantom" off USS CORAL SEA (CV-43). While in VF-154, he transitioned to the F-14 "Tomcat" flying off USS CONSTELLATION (CV-64).

In 1984, Captain Brugal received orders to Training Squadron TWENTY-TWO (VT-22) NAS Kingsville, Texas as a flight instructor and Wing Landing Signal Officer, flying the A-4 "Skyhawk". While in VT-22, he was recognized as the 1988 Training Wing TWO Instructor of the Year and the Kingsville Chamber of Commerce Junior Officer of the Year. Returning to the "Tomcat" in October 1989, Captain Brugal reported to Fighter Squadron Three-Two (VF-32) at NAS Oceana, Virginia. While with VF-32, he deployed aboard USS JOHN F. KENNEDY for Operations DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM......
KenV:
I left ACTIVE DUTY (not "active service") in 1985. I don't know how the UK systems works, but here's how it works in USN.

I was a USNA graduate. Which meant that I received an active commission in the unrestricted line. Active commission meant I served in the active forces rather than the reserve forces, and unrestricted line meant I was eligible for command at sea. In 1985 I resigned from active duty and entered the reserves, still unrestricted line..... I was flying F-18s in the reserves out of NAS Lemoore when I got activated for Gulf War 1, otherwise known as Desert Shield/Desert Storm.
JFK (CV-67) Cruise Book 1990-1991: