PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PTSD among drone operators
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2015, 12:55
sargs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle:

You still don’t get it, do you? PTSD is not all about being shot at. It’s an anxiety disorder caused by any one or a combination of things – just go to the NHS website here and see for yourself. The same web site says it “is estimated to affect about 1 in every 3 people who have a traumatic experience.” You’re right, little counselling has been offered to those unfortunates in the past – over the years, we have had various responses to PTSD ranging from people trying their best to help all the way down to shooting sufferers at dawn during WW1. Nobody, anywhere, is claiming that RPAS ops are “in the same league as facing direct hostile action” but try, just for once, to set aside your prejudice and recognise that there are many ways to acquire a disorder such as PTSD.

Training Risky:

Watching (or causing) people to “disappear in a cloud of black and white mist” didn’t make me sad or jumpy either, so good for you. Perhaps you are one of those who only watched the “interesting five minutes” before getting back to writing those pesky detachment reports on your staff to while away those long night-shift hours. It appears you and I are the lucky 2 in every 3 people who appear not to suffer from this condition - please spare a thought for the other unfortunate 1 in 3, he or she might just be a friend of yours.