PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar 2015/2016
Thread: Qatar 2015/2016
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2015, 08:11
Flytdeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Incremental improvements

320. Always thought the head bangy icon was quite symbolic. Think of "intelligence" being on the left side of the wall, the wall representing "EGO" and the head thing represents "self expression". Forum remarks are often inhibited by the inability to overcome one's EGO which otherwise could lead to an intelligent statement (which is often the case in life OUTSIDE the online world). Just look at the flat spot on my bald head!

Addressing the original topic, after working at QA for several years, have found this to be a reasonable workplace especially after recent improvements including:
  • Access to ID90 and ID50 on QA for non family members
  • Increase in housing allowance
  • Increase in base pay
  • Benefit savings plan option
  • Improved sequential days off
  • Reduction in restrictions on roster building and bidding
  • Deadhead pay for freighters (50%)
  • Business class deadhead
  • Improved medical benefits

There are some items that have devolved such as redefinition of Ultra Long Haul with subsequent reduction in layover time, airport layover hotels and a general reduction in the standard of hotel selected (YUL and LAX are prime examples though there are many more).

There are nice areas to live here that meet the needs of single, couple, or family. Company housing is still very limited which often means that one must subsidize accommodation, even after the increase. There is plenty of selection at different price points, especially after the exodus of energy workers.

Summers are HOT ("how hot are they????"). They are so hot, the heat waves are big enough to surf on; I saw two trees fighting over a dog; the refrigerator will not give up ice cubes without a struggle. It is HOT (and often humid). It is also thoroughly air conditioned; everywhere. Indoor activities such as basketball, tennis, badminton, squash, racquetball, and ice hockey (yes, ICE hockey) are available for a little coin and a few moments exposed to the heat between the automobile and the facility. The best option my be to have family return home for summer vacation and "tough it out" as a single.

Working for Qatar Airways may be more difficult that say, a legacy carrier but after chatting with crew members who have arrived here after following varied paths, it is an improvement on MOST carriers. The best possible situation is likely arriving as a DEC and having your family settle here with you. The F/Os I work with are diligent and hard working as their promotion hinges on a sterling work and exam record. It is not easy and engenders a certain amount of constant stress which can easily carry over into personal lives.

Working conditions for most of the general laborers is abysmal. There is a wide cultural gulf in this area which is being exposed to the world through the media. Though improvements have been promised there seems to be no incentive (or ability) to follow through. There are many opportunities to converse with a diverse range of people and many tell disturbing stories of their time here. There are also opportunities to assist and I like to think (or possibly delude) that our presence here makes a positive difference. There are signs that incremental improvements are being made and that world opinion my finally overcome the reticence of Qatar's rulers (and they ARE rulers, NOT leaders) for positive, humanitarian change.

Working here is what you make of it. Some like it, some hate it. This is a good skit for me though I am here for a finite period. Those considering long-term employment may have a different opinion though there are pilots (and others) who have been here for over a decade and are committed to this airline. Recently our management have moved to improve facets of our jobs and I am hopeful this trend will continue. Those seeking a secure position in a growing airline, there are many more worse opportunities out there and frankly, depending on your experience, few better that I know of. This is my personal opinion but remember that head bashing icon? My wall is just as thick as the next person's.