PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PTSD among drone operators
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2015, 14:29
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I suspect that the way in which the BBC covered it, particularly on I-player, might lead to people inferring that this is what was being said.

If you look at OC13's position on this, though - from his ACSC research paper, via the article derived from it which appeared in Air Power Review and through other comments he's made - you'll see that the point he has always attempted to make is that certain commentators deny the possibility of anyone flying/operating an RPAS having any sort of attachment to what they see on the ground.

This, of course, is part of a line of argument put forward by some who seek to suggest that 'drone warriors' are, in effect, dispassionate video-game warriors lacking compassion and understanding of what they're doing and which has given rise to the whole 'drone wars' /'killer robots' debate whereby a number of commentators are able to postulate the notion that the 'drone' is a weapon of dubious legality because of the attitude and approach of the operators who are able to kill at will, with complete detachment and without any dangers or stresses.

And I rather think that it is that line of argument which he is attempting to challenge - not to suggest that it is somehow 'harder' than being in a cockpit. The problem, of course, being that the BBC coverage doesn't quite convey this...