PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar 2015/2016
Thread: Qatar 2015/2016
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2015, 10:23
320goat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is quite clear that some people feel qualified to comment with little or no knowledge of what work or life is like in Qatar.

LLuCCiFeR; you take the statement of "keeping you head down" and then make reference to nazi Germany, I have never heard so much bull.

Keeping your head down out here means following the NOPs and not being known to the management, not unlike a lot of companies. The ME is famous for a lack of employment law so you can be easily fired for mistakes, but the fact is, if you can back up your decisions (which you should be able to do working for any company!) then you can carry out your job as captain as you would for any carrier.

I agree that human rights abuses are appalling; fortunately what has happened in Qatar has been well documented and I believe has led to improvements in working conditions out here, but as ever there is a lot more room for improvement hopefully brought about by more pressure from the world media and governments.

As for working out here; my family are very happy. Stable roster, flying under 80 hours a month with 13/14 days off a month. Still a bit short on housing allowance and it would be nice to be paid for all dead heading (probably only a matter of time) but there have been many improvements in Ts & Cs out here. Schooling can be an issue, Ramadan is painful compared to BAH, DBX or AUH, and not so much to do here compared to other places

It is not for everyone but may I suggest if you haven't lived or worked out here then you are not so qualified to comment.

Regards

Last edited by 320goat; 13th Jul 2015 at 17:56.