PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another runway at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2015, 08:51
Trash 'n' Navs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All sectors endorse the Davies report so I'm going with it
Come on, now ... who are you kidding? Have you asked TfL? GIP? MAG? HACAN? Boris, Zak? YOU personally may disagree with those who oppose LHR R3, but to deny that opposition exists is plain silly.
No, I’m not kidding Shed. A quick trawl of the interweb reveals support from:

Labour Party
UKIP
SNP
Conservatives

The Evening Standard
The Daily Telegraph
The Sun
The Daily Mail

Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce
North East Chamber of Commerce
Glasgow Chamber of Commerce
South Tyneside Council
LA7 Shareholders
North Eastern Local Enterprise Partnership
Trades Union Congress (TUC)
Unite
British International Freight Association (BIFA)
Freight Trade Association (FTA)
Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport (CILT)
Institute of Directors (IoD)
Confederation of British Industry (CBI).
EEF – The manufacturers’ organisation
Federation of Small Business (FSB)
British Chambers of Commerce (BCC)
London Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Slough Borough Council
Spelthorne Borough Council
Hounslow Chamber of Commerce
Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce
London First
World Road Association of the United Kingdom
Gatwick Area Conservation Campaign group

Aberdeen Airport
Glasgow Airport
Leeds Bradford Airport
Liverpool Airport
Newcastle Airport

Star Alliance
easyJet

Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce’s Policy Director, Chris Fletcher is quoted as saying
“The Chamber welcomes the findings of the Airport Commission and the news that a recommendation for a third runway at Heathrow has been made. It is important that government now moves quickly to make a final decision on this for the economic benefit of the UK. This whole issue has been delayed for far too long and ducking decisions in the past has meant we are in the position we find ourselves today. Coming on the back of recent announcements about huge investment at Manchester Airport and increasingly positive noises about HS2 it is crucial that this now begins to form part of a truly joined up national infrastructure and transport strategy.”

…and the North East Chamber of Commerce Chief Executive, James Ramsbotham is quoted as saying
“Today’s Davies Report has given the right recommendation. While we want as many direct flights coming in and out of North East airports as possible, an expanded national hub is an essential requirement. The economic benefits of a third runway at Heathrow Airport are way in advance of any other options. Many of these benefits are set to be of advantage to regions outside the South East, ourselves included. The Commission has done what the Government has asked of it in that their recommendation represents the needs of the United Kingdom as a whole. The onus is now on our politicians to make a final decision and implement this without delay.”

So, yes there’s opposition and I’d not expect otherwise. However my original comment was that I was “going with” the Davies recommendation because it was endorsed by all sectors and had a clear economic benefit for UK plc. I understand the environmental concerns (HACAN) and even the local politicians point-of-view (Boris, Zac) but I’m not persuaded by their arguments. I am persuaded by a well researched and documented report that provides a high level of detail and as AndyH52 points out, a high level of cost certainty
“85% of those costs benchmarked though its supply chain
alongside a high “BCR”.

If I was to translate to my county your argument that yours is underinvested relative to the taxes it pays, I’d want more school places, more doctors and a modern 24/7 A&E with a wide variety of outpatient services on the edge of my village thanks. Oh, that’s right, I can’t have that because my taxes are pooled for the greater good of all living in the country. I’m pretty sure I pay higher council rates than those “up north” and I paid a higher capital price to just get in to the area I’m in. I’m not whinging about it though. Maybe that’s because I’m not British.