PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bali Flts. CX due Volcanic Ash - ABC News
Old 13th Jul 2015, 00:24
Fluke

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Escape from Bali

Arrived back in Melboune yesterday 12th. I went via Sydney on JQ38 and family direct on JQ36. Just very lucky! Thank you to JQ crew who I understand were also trapped for five days or so with 24 hour layover luggage.

Very stressful for those still stuck or planning to travel to Bali. Accurate infomation is scarce as is accommodations. I had travel insurance but was unsure how it could be activated or if it would continue past my expected return date. ( there was a very informative guy speaking on ABC news radio this morning about travel insurance.). Once your holiday is interrupted by an event (ash cloud) the policy kicks in, and continues until you leave with a warning to seek advice before spending large dollars on alternative travel/airlines.

If we had not got on a flight, I planned to travel by rail to Surabaya and fly out probably to KL ( Singapore flights very busy), and return to OZ.

Putting my 20 cents in as an airline pilot and knowing nothing about Jetstars operational or fuel policies, ( probably comes down to liability anyway).i would suggest they retime inbound flights to arrive at midday ( even if airport is NOTAMed closed or ash forecast). Carry island reserve fuel ( 2 hours), or ash free alternates. Over last few winters in the U.S. many airlines depart for JFK with the runways closed requiring clearing, expecting this will be done by actual arrival time. Doesn't always work but beats not trying.

Also Jetstar refund policy is cheap! Only allowing the same airports on a rebooked ticket when it is the airport which is the problem ? Come on !