PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another runway at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2015, 21:19
Trash 'n' Navs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classic PPRUNE! It's amusing and frustrating in equal measure.

So an independent review has sifted through the evidence, weighed up the complex issues and considered the greater good to recommend a course of action that generates more jobs and nation-wide economic benefits yet the debate on PPRUNE has debased to a mono-dimensional view of the aviation business. Ahhhh, the luxury of idealistic, imaginary worlds...

...Build it where I want it. I've no evidence on which to base the business case but don't worry, just build it and they'll come...

I haven't yet read all the supporting technical documents, but I get an overwhelming sense this is a solid review and the authors should be applauded.

I accept their advice that in the absence of additional capacity at LHR, other European hubs will benefit rather than other UK airports. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise when you see inter-continental airlines only wanting to operate from the UK hub (as Vietnam Airlines recently decided) and UK trade is highly dependent on connectivity of LHR. I can appreciate these are inconvenient truths for those "up north" so perhaps one of you could present a viable business case that will generate >£200bn in trade and over 70k jobs by using capacity "up there".

As a non-Brit, I'm amazed at the obsession with fairness and balance at the expense of common-sense. I see substantial evidence in favour of LHR expansion, little in favour of LGW & none in favour of anywhere else.

I come back to an earlier comment I made - Leadership requires courage - and add that national interest should always outweigh parochialism.

Sorry. Rant over.