PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this RAF Kallang?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2015, 09:54
By George

Received 56 Likes on 14 Posts
Interesting Photographs. I grew up as a kid in Singapore (my father was in the RAF) and I returned there in 1998 on a short term contract as a pilot to Singapore Airlines. Naturally, I immediately tried to find all my childhood places and memories. The old school is now a Brewery (a little bit of rough justice) and the family home in Margoliath Street, off Stevens Road is now worth no less than 9 million ( not bad for a Married Quarter). The thing that really confused me was the airport, the old RAF runway is now the taxiway to the left of 02L. We now have 02C and 02R. The little grass knoll where the old tower was situated is still there but most of the new airport is now reclaimed land. Beach road opposite the Raffles Hotel is now at least a mile from the beach and so on. I went back in 2001, on another longer contract and left on retirement ten years later. The changes that have taken place still amaze me. The old Changi Hospital where the balcony overlooked the beach is now about three miles from the sea.
This is what I love about Asia, while we study the environment and complete impact studies for ten years on the mating habits of some obscure speckled moth, our northern cousins just dynamite everything in sight and just get on with it.
Coming home to Aus eleven years later, nothing has changed, everything is eleven years older and the neighbor's daughter is a little fatter.