PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another runway at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2015, 09:05
felixflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We built the Channel Tunnel, The Olympic Village, Crossrail.... anybody cost AND spot where all these are located ?
I would say the Channel Tunnel is built in exactly the right place wouldn't you? Maybe they should have built it from Scarborough to Calais? Would that have made more sense?

The 'LONDON 2012' Olympic village was funnily enough built in London.

As for Crossrail, anybody that has to commute into London and then get on the tube to get into the centre will tell you it was needed and will be an asset for decades. I have worked and commuted in many parts of the country and nothing compares to the tube in rush hour. A large percentage of the travellers are tourists during the day and these people bring money into the country.

There are many viable projects in the north and south west too. If the business case is there then they should be built. Look at the mine that has just been approved. Will create thousands of jobs and bring in cash to the north east. Look at HS2, we need a modern railway to cater for the trains of the future but it is being opposed by people living near the route.

Until we can build infrastructure without years of consultations the north will always come second to the capital as the money and will just isn't there to carry on fighting the nimbys without major investment at the pre approval stage.