PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of FL LVL CH versus TOGA for a B737 go around
Old 28th Jun 2015, 01:04
downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use of FL LVL CH versus TOGA for a B737 go around

Hello all,

Recently during simulator training one of our instructors is telling us that we DO not need to use TOGA when performing a go-around from say 1000 AGL?(Boeing 737 family I am talking about).

Let me further break down what his opinion was at level of around 1000 AGL it is more than sufficient to use LVL CHNG rather then TOGA since the missed approach altitude might only be be say 2000 or 3000 AGL (airmanship was the word he used)

Most of our airport operations are sea level aerodrome's, then he went on to say that around 200-300 AGL ie CAT 1 DA or MDA's etc... always use TOGA, since this is a break away manoeuvre to avoid the ground and initiate the missed approach ie; for weather, aircraft on runway or as the case may be.........

having read FCOM and FCTM they are say TOGA ONLY....

FCOM Normal Procedure's section.............

At the same time: • push the TO/GA switch • call “FLAPS 15.”

FCTM.....

Push either TO/GA switch, call for flaps 15, ensure go-around thrust for the nominal climb rate is set and monitor autopilot performance.

I also found in FCOM when APP is engaged ie VOR/LOC and G/S captured that it would take up to much pilot attention to use this technique of FL CHNG vs TOGA, tried this in the sim all to hard work...........

After VOR/LOC and G/S are both captured, the APP mode can be exited by:
• pushing a TO/GA switch
• disengaging A/P and turning off both F/D switches
• retuning a VHF NAV receiver.

What are people opinions of this technique?
I just went along with it in the sim to keep the piece but I find it a bit silly this idea....

Thank you in advance.