PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training Assessments
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2015, 04:50
CX-HOR

hypothetical question for the brains trust

So in the past Cathay have recruited DECs on the freighter and also DEFOs on bases because of a "lack of suitably qualified candidates" (according to their assessment criteria).

Would it be legal for Cathay due to the training backlog and need for RQ FOs to simply recruit FOs already type-rated, give them the ground-school required to convert their existing ATPL, a PC/RT and line check and have some-one ready for RQ after 200 hours in the company?

Of course that may trigger bypass for SOs but paying JFO yr 1 for a while and then knowing it has to be repaid in the future if they don't "meet company standards" in the minimum number of sectors is a hell of a lot of extra stress and would cause greater than the current failure rate. Even then if they pass they are still on JFO year 1 salary.

To attract 330 and 777 type-rated guys maybe hard without housing but as TT SOs get a "foregivable loan" then I imagine the same amount or more could also be offered to DEFOs to attract them to Hong Kong.

Are there guys out there? Well I think Qantas has an "arrangement" for its guys to take unpaid leave and fly for Emirates or the Jetstar group they might like a few years in Hong Kong before going back to the big rat. I reckon there may well be a lot of MAS guys looking to go elsewhere who are already qualified and would come to HK or commute to KL.

We must be very aware of any "unintended consequences" in pushing the Company into a tight spot for crew. It hasn't worked in the past.