PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 19th Jun 2015, 09:55
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
I've been following this thread since it first started and have enjoyed all the tales, but this is the first time I've ventured onto the thread, to ask a couple of questions.

Firstly, unless he is hiding behind a Bead Window, who or what was FATCOCK?
Secondly, what is flagging?

My one and only encounter with a Hercules was at Lyneham in 1968, when as a UAS APO, I was waiting for a trip to Akrotiri as a supernumerary in a Britannia.

At short notice (the engines were already running), I was offered a Hercules trip. I can't remember the official reason for the flight, but we deviated from the official plan for a rendezvous with a Campbeltown fishmonger at Macrihanish. While we were there, he made deliveries to two Varsities, one of which was from Cranwell.

I remember that there was some concern about the APU, so to avoid potentially having to explain why we were stuck on the ground at a place we shouldn't be, the Captain kept one of the engines running during the fishy transaction.

An added bonus of my few days at Lyneham was that I got to see Concorde 002 on its maiden flight from Filton to Fairford.