PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2015, 13:07
K.O.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello again!

I'm looking for some visa help.

There seem to be two paths that I can go by. I can either get a Tourist visa or a Visitor visa. They are different in that the Visitor visa requires a letter from of sponsorship from a host, and the Tourist visa requires a detailed holiday itinerary. In either case, I'll be withholding information from the Botswana Govt regarding my purpose of visit and I'm nervous if I'll get one for 90 days, assuming i get one at all. Therefore to increase my chances, I thought it would be prudent to ask you guys for advice on how you had/have satisfied the Botswana Govt's visa requirements (seeing as how all of us at one time or another travelled to Maun to look for jobs under the guise of being a tourist). I understand that most of you are from visa exempt countries, however, as an Indian citizen, I require a visa unfortunately.
Just brainstorming, I came up with a few questions:

1.) Would you suggest I make a booking at a hotel (Sedia or another campsite) for 90 days as proof of stay? Would they be cool with it if I paid on arrival per-week or per-month?

2.) Has the Botswana Govt caught onto the fact that people head up to Maun to find flying work? If so, how does one allay their suspicions?

3.) Would you recommend booking a safari tour to satisfy their requirement?(they cost a pretty penny, so i'll have to save up if this turns out to be the best way)

4.) How does the Botswana Govt. feel about backpackers and hitch-hikers, arriving in their great nation without a real game plan? (India doesn't seem to care about this...Goa and my town are filled with poor dirty travellers)

If any of you on this thread have needed a visa, I would like to message you regarding the method in which you went about getting one. My fear is that I will either NOT get a visa or I will get one only for a week or two.

Any assistance will be invaluable.

Thanks!