PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maritime Monday
Thread: Maritime Monday
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2015, 16:10
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Wander00 wrote:
...it would be fun to refresh his carrier approach technique...
During a KELTEX involving a Canberra and a couple of Gnats, one of the Gnat QFIs ('PV' L****, ex-Sea Vixens ) did the same thing, making all the appropriate calls. I gather that the RN types were most impressed as the diminutive little Gnat went scooting past after a 'low overshoot'...

P6 Driver, that isn't quite the worst Nimrod I've ever seen!

This is:

Apologies for the poor photo quality - it was a scan of a print from a slide made a while ago. The NimWACS was making yet another "Due to enter RAF service shortly...." fly through at the Farnborough Air Show and I didn't manage to focus properly.

Next time I saw the hideous looking thing was during my AAR Cat check on the VC10K OCU. It made several climbing lunges at the centreline hose, before managing one successful contact....

Thankfully they were withdrawn from service soon after, but were still littering Abingdon several years later.

Who remembers this delightfully painted Nimrod:

XV246 - the 'Flying $hite' - one of those RAF stories which no-one would believe if there weren't any witnesses to it!

"Are you sure that's the colour Sir wants?"
"Yes it is, now get on with painting it!"
"But it doesn't look like the colour we were told about?"
"I'M A SENIOR OFFICER AND I KNOW ABOUT PAINT! DO IT!!"
(Some days later)
"Ah, errm, perhaps it'll change colour when it's dry?"
"It is dry, Sir and it hasn't!"

I gather it languished at the far end of Trebalzue before Someone Very Senior saw it, asked what on earth it was doing in such a vile colour, before ordering that it should be repainted in 'proper' hemp forthwith!

Last edited by BEagle; 15th Jun 2015 at 20:16.