PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 13th Jun 2015, 11:39
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is perhaps even worse; I've heard of a few. Daddy is/was a B747 national carrier captain. Son is well educated and looks at the job market. He sees a pilot in a national carrier can earn £€$60,000 at 25 years old. Hard work and expensive to get the qualifications, initially, but you can analyse how your career and income should develop over >30 years. It's not hard work once you're in. It seems very attractive and glamorous to those who can so choose and have access to the higher levels. Thus, there are a few who join the brigade for less than ideal reasons.
What I find unbalanced is the qualifications demanded by national carriers are often still those of yesteryear. The job now is very different and IMHO too many pilot are over qualified and so it is easy to become frustrated with not being challenged on a daily basis. I know in LoCo circles there are those who think that money is more a criteria than character. The reverse might be true in the national majors. Either way there appears to be an inconsistence in designing the ideal pilot.