PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another runway at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 16:37
MidlandDeltic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by felixflyer

The argument often used on here that LHR should not be upgraded as it doesn't work well now is like saying a new car park should not be built in the town centre as their is nowhere to park your car.

The Heathrow bashers love to knock the place and it was a victim of it's own success and suffered from 1960's short sighted design but it now has 2 new world class terminals and is going through a complete transformation.
The point I was making was not against upgrading per se, but that unless it is physically restrained from doing so the problem will recur in fairly short order - but your selective quoting conveniently missed that! Long haul will ALWAYS get priority at LHR, and no agreements over slot use wll change that.

I last used Heathrow in 2004, and while I accept a lot of work has happened since then, I've known too many pepole stranded for many hours by BA in particular because long haul is more important - must keep those imports figures of meal sales in the transit lounge up! - to attempt to use it again. It will be interesting to see, if the IAG purchase of Aer Lingus goes ahead whether EI will be "encouraged" to adopt the same policy. Going east, it's Amsterdam, Frankfurt or the Gulf - going west I'll connect at the US end.