PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another runway at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2015, 22:38
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
kcockayne's view would be echoed by the Isle of Man residents who found their airline to LHR bought by BA (twice!) for the slots.

Which reminds us that this problem has deep roots ...

Shed-on-a-Pole
I hate to break this to you, but I detect ZERO desire from Northern passengers to change planes at LHR. They sometimes tolerate this out of necessity, but they categorically don't desire it. Primarily they want a non-stop flight from their own region. In the absence of this, transfer via a relatively hassle-free hub (which LHR is not) is preferred.
Indeed - because that is the lesson they have learnt the hard way over the last 30 years. Just imagine IF Heathrow ...
  • had been expanded in the 70s and 80s and 90s
  • had now got four runways
  • had links throughout the UK
  • that feeder carriers had not been bought by BA just to get their slots
  • (which means that LGW would be quieter now and have more capacity)
  • had all the long haul connections
  • had been expanded as a proper hub with better terminal layout and not the ad-hoc way in which it was/is done
  • had have tube and mainline connections sooner, rather that coaches to railway stations
  • etcetera
Because then it WOULD have been the hub of choice! Then it WOULD have been easy for folks to txfer at LHR, to connect from the UK via plane or public transport and with more jobs and revenue staying in the UK.

Then the Euro hubs would not have picked up all the traffic, the LCCs would not have so easily picked up much of the other traffic. It is the utter failure of ALL governments that LHR is a minor hub and will remain so. For (as I have said too many times) it is all too late, far, far too late.

What will happen is that LGW will get the runway because it is politically easier and LHR will continue to be a maxed-out, awkward to use, minor hub. I do not expect to see even R3, because the politicians have failed.

Fairdealfrank
The increased din of cans being kicked down the road is now much much louder than aircraft landing or taking off at Heathrow.
Correct and nicely put! In the late afternoon today, in North London, I heard the sound of an a/c climbing out of LHR and taking the Northern route. I looked up and (from the sound) was expecting a 777 size - but it was a BA 380!