PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Kenley
Thread: RAF Kenley
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2015, 06:18
Nicolaus Silver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KENLEY

Used to live closeby as a kid and played in the shelters, after school Mess visits as a paper boy giving horse tips, and scrumping near a concrete structure aa by Burntwood Lane, as well as eating at Roundabout Cafe at bottom of Burntwood Lane. Mates dads were RAF 58/60 and lived in Foxon Close and Hillhurst Gdns, Messrs Turner and Holland respectively. Young Robert Holland flew BOAC in 70's.

I went back to Kenley 2014 with my sons and we walked all over and got kicked off the glider runway...found squarish flat concrete slabs off the east perimeter, but walking north of a/f towards Whyteleafe Hill, found well hidden away after trampling thru untrodden bushland, amongst trees, a remote square tallish building under tree canopy with no visible doors or windows. Was that an ops post?

The Wattenden Pub still exists with photos and comments on the walls inside. My dad used to take us kids there in the 50's for lemonade and crisps and then get an ice cream at Boyd's End going back around perimeter road on way home.

They were the days my friend......