PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Support for the military?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2015, 10:57
Martin the Martian

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts
I think those naval aircraft are actually Bloodhound SAMs...

I like what they do in Israel, in that they hold open days on consecutive days at three or four different airfields, arrange a comprehensive static display of aircraft and other equipment and invite the public in to see what their taxes buy. Some of the static aircraft shuttle around to the different events. There is little in the way of flying demos, though when I was at Ramat David there was a SAR demo by a Dauphin/Panther. Aircraft undertaking normal activities in the area are encouraged to do a low pass or two, and some local flying carries on as normal. As the events are held in the week personnel do not have to give up their weekends and the whole shebang is factored in to the annual programme.

I wonder if this might be a more effective model for the RAF to follow rather than hold the big events that compete with the likes of Duxford and RIAT, almost going back to the 'At Home' style of event. Two or three of these events could be held at different locations across the country, with different stations holding them each year. The Red Arrows and the Falcons can do their thing, BBMF can show off their wonderful machines, and whatever display routines are available for the year can participate as well. In short, an event for the RAF to show the British taxpayer what it does.