PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Less than full power takeoffs?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2015, 07:16
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BUT for the Seneca V driver. How about this:
The seneca Five is unusual compared to the Earlier Senecas in that the engines are turbocharged supercooled and waste gated and can use maximum continuos power.

the earlier Senecas were not and max power was time limited to five minutes
Let me put this question? After take off and having cleaned up the aircraft you would normally go to a climb power setting anyway so what happens if you loose an engine then? You would advance on the good engine or maybe on both until you had identified the problem engine and if you still had power from it, that procedure takes a fraction of a second.

In my engine failure in a twin (reported here) which happened at 200 feet agl do not be too hasty in shutting down and feathering what maybe an engine still supplying some useable power.

i estimated 30% from a violently shaking and yawing aircraft so instead put my hand on the prop lever ready to feather and used that 30% until a safe height then shut it down. Had I shut down and feathered I would have without doubt ended up crashing.

I think its the Aerostar( Machen) where engine failure requires a reduction of power on the good engine because the rudder could not hold full power and many engine failures resulted in loss of control.

Some powerful single turbines and pistons required reduced power because of torque and lack of rudder authority at slower speeds in the takeoff roll with further power added at faster speeds and more rudder authority ?

I opened this thread up not to promote less than full power takeoffs but to discuss them and less than full power operations when full power maybe your instincts

Last edited by Pace; 2nd Jun 2015 at 07:56.