PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S97 Raider
Thread: S97 Raider
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2015, 17:07
SansAnhedral

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
All very good talking points that we have heard about ABC since circa 2005-6 (when Sikorsky was still showing what they considered a feasible 737-fuselaged ABC!). Since there is no precedent at this size, the proof is in the pudding, and I think it will be very difficult for a > 30,000lb GW ABC coax to achieve much more than 200kt. If an SB>1 actually gets built by late 2017, which I still have my doubts based on things I have heard from various industry suppliers on the program, I will be surprised.

Need independent proof of these comparisons? Boeing took months to examine tilt rotors, compounds and X2s, and came to Sikorsky to join the team, even though they have a great deal invested in tilt rotors, and know them very well. Defiant is very much a 50-50 partnership with a company that makes 50% of the V22, and chose to spend their effort and money on the X2/ABC configuration.
Agree to disagree on this point. From the grapevine, the real story is that Boeing intended to partner with Bell on FVL, but it seems Bell had learned the lesson that the 50/50 split on the V22 was far from their best interest to repeat, especially with the specifics of the requested FVL work split.

I still maintain that both Sikorsky and Boeing want nothing more than for FVL-M to go away, hence the teaming. Sikorsky wants to sell S97 as FVL-L or as something "off the shelf, ready to go" to replace Kiowa and AAS. They both subsequently convince Uncle Sam that the capability in the medium class can better be accomplished (read: cheaper) with next gen UH-60X and AH-64X to keep those revenue streams alive.