PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK USA Road Shows
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2015, 20:49
Gulf News

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reality

The reality is that you will rarely get more than 30-35 days per year
Adding to that is the fact that you will probably not get that much and if, by some miracle, you do get that number of days leave in a calendar year you will not get them all in one block. The maximum allowable according to the employment manual is 28 days consecutively however there are very few pilots, if any, who will ever get more that 21 consecutively. The company withholds the right to shrink, slide your desired leave bid or ignore it entirely at their will. Local labour law states that every employee will receive a minimum of 30 days leave in a calendar year and Emirates will begrudgingly grant that however leave bidding is a real crap shoot and despite our dear leaders promises to address the issue it will only get worse as the plot shortage takes effect.

To add to this you will get only one annual leave ticket which is confirmed travel to your contracted place of joining, so to get home twice on leave means putting yourself and family at the mercy of standby staff travel which to most US destinations is TRIPS (staff travel web application) red light zone. ie pretty much forget it unless you are very flexible with dates, which you wont be because of the limits of your leave. Ouch.

Amusingly enough leave was the only issue that AS (DSVPFO) promised to fix at a recent training meeting. Easy to give assurances when leave is already allocated until March 2016 and he retires in October 2015. Such is the caliber of the man addressing some of the companies most experienced and educated pilots that he thought that this would seem like a genuine gesture. How some of these people sleep at night with the blatant lies they tell amazes me, or perhaps I am just too old school and naive.

To my US colleagues who are genuinely interested in a stint in the ME I would say come and have a look but have your eyes wide open and don't be dazzled by the glitz. It may look good on paper but think hard about what quality of life means to you and your family before you take the plunge.