PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best training airplane?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2015, 17:49
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following this thread has been interesting so far. Training aircraft have evolved over the years for various reasons. The Chipmunk was designed to accommodate the RAF, it wouldn't be much use sending a pilot off in a Spitfire to fight for his life unless he was capable of aerobatics. The 150/152 is perfect for anyone who just wants to enjoy being airborne, and is quite capable of being flung about a bit, though I wouldn't fancy my chances against a 109.
Bickering about the merits of each is counterproductive when trying to encourage people to fly.
The only thing wrong with the 150/152 is the flying school that is running them. Letting them get into the condition of a tatty skip (dumpster) is not the fault of a perfectly sound aircraft.
I would ask is it a good idea to be trained on a tailwheel like Grandpa was or is it ok to only know nosewheeling?
I note that Cubs and Condors are mentioned, am I allowed to be biased as well and suggest my Emeraude with its elliptical wing it has a good rate of roll, aerobatic in other than UK atmosphere, very few vices for a taily, used by the French airforce a while ago, and it looks nice.