PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2015, 15:37
Geriaviator

Received 240 Likes on 75 Posts
Thanks AA62, a frightening experience! I would like to know how you heavy haulers dealt with airframe icing. I have read that icing killed more bomber crews than the Luftwaffe, at least in the early days of WW2. The Stirling with its low ceiling seemed particularly affected, a couple being lost crossing the Alps on the way to bomb Turin. Were many WW2 aircraft fitted with boots etc?

I remember investigating an Oxford (or Anson) at Binbrook around 1950. The leading edges and props were liberally smeared with grease which I managed to transfer to my school trousers, with painful consequences when I went home. I found later that the 'grease' was Kilfrost anti-icing paste, does anyone know if it worked or not? Ppruners will be pleased to hear that Kilfrost is still a British business after 80 years, and still producing de-icing agents.

Danny, the Belfast-Liverpool boats you remember have not run for 30+ years, nor have Glasgow, Ardrossan, Heysham etc. Their quays are covered by the M3 motorway bridge. These days most people go by air, which set off my current ramblings: fellow passengers were annoyed one morning last month when we had to wait half an hour in the a/c for the de-icing wagon, but I was happy to see he took his time and sprayed plenty. One encounter with ice was one too many in my book!