PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBMF Lanc Engine Fire
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2015, 08:16
Richard Woods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shackman
We've seen a lot of information here about the damage to the engine bearers and wing repairs etc, but any news on what actually caused the fire in the first place?

I can certainly commend the crew for getting her back on the ground in double quick time, and know just how heart stopping such an occurrence can be. Two Shackletons were lost due to engine fires which didn't go out immediately - both due to the engine mounting burning through and the engine falling off or wing failing. The scuttlebut was that it would take about 90 secs for the magnesium alloy mainspars to burn through in the event of a major engine fire, and I assume that Thumper's mainspar is the same.
The spar booms fitted to PA474 are left over Shackleton material, and I had the drawings that were supplied to BBMF in my hand last weekend while working in our archive. It stands to reason they're exactly as susceptible to fire damage as they would be on a Shack.

We're anxiously waiting for the results of what caused the fire as with the similarities between our aircraft and BBMF's we don't want to fall victim to a fire that could be avoided.