PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2015, 22:36
Highside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEO,

Even the Greeks manage to keep the power on. Nigeria, whilst I agree with your assessment of the many capable individuals, as a country underperforms to a degree that is simply staggering. There is virtually nothing that works satisfactorily. Airports, navaids, roads, power, water supply. They import fuel because it cannot be refined locally in sufficient quantity! They use military contractors to conduct operations. The list is endless. It just cannot be compared to any other country that I am aware of considering its resources.

There might be plenty of reasons for this but no one should for a minute think that the place would function without expats or international businesses. Lagos Airport is a good place to look around for evidence of various national aviation initiatives. The list of defunct airlines is extensive and the safety record is less than stellar. Corruption is absolutely rampant and reaches the highest levels of the country.

I enjoyed my time in Nigeria and think that Nigerians are incredibly charming and funny. Let's just not confuse that with good governance. I also submit that most Nigerians would agree. Furthermore, pointing this out does not make you a racist it merely shows that you are minimally observant.

My two kobus worth......