PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheap Shares vs Other cheap hours building
Old 29th Apr 2015, 13:18
FleetFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Chickenhouse -Yes an LAA administered type will last just as long as a CofA aeroplane.

The aeroplane I fly was built in 1946 and has been in continuous use ever since. It's the design and manufacture of the aeroplane and how well it's looked after that governs whether it will last, not the airworthiness authority involved.

I'm sure there will be Glasairs flying until the fuel runs out, but there may be fewer MCR01s remaining due to the less robust nature of their design, necessary for the low weight their designer needed to achieve.

As for cost, you can have a very similar aeroplane to mine, a taildragger Cessna 140 on a permit or a C150 on a CofA. Their construction is very similar if you get a metal winged 140. The 140 will have the same 0-200 engine and will achieve the same numbers. However the 140 will cost you £300 for the annual permit renewal whereas the 150 will cost you £5K and upwards for its annual. This is assuming neither need any work doing. If the 140 needs work and you're handy with the spanners then you can do many things yourself. On the CofA machine you can change the oil and that's about it, everything else is at £££££££ rates from certified engineers.

Like I said, if you don't need IMC capability, you'd be nuts to go with a CofA aeroplane these days.