PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2015, 15:19
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deptrai
A lot of the suggestions in this thread sound like a solution in search of a problem. Yes admittedly this happened once but how likely is it to happen again?
It appears that Flight Deck Crew have tried to crash the aircraft at least 6 times (the 5 actual crashes broadly attributed to suicide plus at least JetBlue 191) in the last 25 years. So it seems a once in 5 years event, on the same order as mid-air collisions of commercial aircraft before TCAS.

The US has a system that worked the one time it appears to have been used, EASA has a system that didn't work the one time it was needed. It seems reasonable that some effort is spent to review the respective systems and reflect if any changes should be made.

The general thrust of the comments from European commercial aircrew show a (to me at least) surprising concern about the security status of the cabin crew and a worrying concern about spending time alone with them occupying the flight deck jump seat.

I am not sure if this is a real concern or more a response to introducing a limit on the handling pilot's authority, even if this authority is limited only to override the handling pilot's decision to bar the non-handling pilot from the flight deck.

I would suggest people think back to the occasions they* (or people they know, or even have heard about) have decided it was appropriate to lock the other pilot out of the flight deck. Was there any occasion where you consider the circumstances might have resulted in any CC incorrectly siding with the locked out pilot and letting them back onto the flight deck against the wishes of the handling pilot.

* realistically, I am assuming almost no one has actually had occasion to lock a member of the flight deck crew out so this will mostly be a reflection on the publicized events.