PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish A330 incident, Kathmandu
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2015, 16:55
7478ti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beyond VNKT ???

Yes Cokebottle, those were some of the very words that I originally wrote, now decades ago...

But my point is that in an era when we can reliably land UAVs on pitching, rolling, carrier decks blind, within a foot laterally and a few feet longitudinally, with sensors now on virtually all modern production transport jets, using the computing power of about an iPad, and modes like LAND3/LAND2/AIII, using techniques like RNP and GLS/GBAS (or JPALS), ... then the hull losses at places like VNKT, KSFO, KBHM or CYHZ are completely unnecessary.

I'm advocating that we all, just like or forefathers argued in 1939 for ILS versus NDB/ADF (the experienced airline pilots and airlines supported ILS [Air-Track, YB, and NBS], versus the Air Corps that instead supported the A-1 Hegenberger system [ADF]), ... we all should now argue globally for the substantive near term full implementation of the vastly better RNP and GLS/GBAS, allowing for full use of our FMSs and AFDS modes like LAND3/AIII.

Both we, and our passengers and cargo, will then be able to confidently put these kinds of unfortunate unnecessary accidents in the past.