PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 7th Apr 2015, 10:33
Mimpe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't read all the posts but heres my list of what gets consistent landings - by the way controlled , alive and plane not damaged is still good.

1. Stable approach - if you can nail the correct speed , stay on centreline, correcting for wind and required descent then you are already in the right shape to only have to worry about the last 20 feet
2. Learn the right time to ease or cut the power - in your training aircraft it will probably be when you are about 4-8 feet off the runway. In certain aircraft like prop twins , a certain amount of power is kept on till virtually on the runway
3. Apply steady progressive flare looking down the the runway as you ease the power off. You don't however, want to be slow stalled and no power on high above the runway on a hot day at heavy weight, so be smart about this. A little bit of residual energy is useful. If you are holding off the runway in the right way in a single prop aircraft, it will naturally settle onto the runway when it is ready to so - one difference is that a short field landing is a definite "plant" onto the runway at a specific point, but thats a different technique.
4. Rehearse your crosswind techniques mentally and repeatedly before you need them
5. Practice a lot - my guess is 100-150 landings is a good number to get consistency.

PS don't be shy to fly within within sensible limits, even if it means calling for a change of runway end, or even using an alternate if conditions are beyond your skill level. Don't take risks, and anticipate and plan for problems in advance

Last edited by Mimpe; 7th Apr 2015 at 10:58.